Live Like You Were Dyin'...

2:21 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
Nope - I've not seen the movie - but I have heard really good things about it. This past Sunday the pastor of the church I attend in Lexington (Jon Weece of Southland Christian) spoke about living passionately. His whole sermon was about the importance of living for now, not tomorrow, next week or next year. It was really inspiring but also challenging at the same time. It's shocking (& a little depressing) to realize how my priority list shapes up lately. Am I focusing on what I should be? Sometimes. Sometimes?! Awful, I know - but I'm working on it. After talking about living in the moment, worshipping, praising & honoring God each moment & prioritizing our lives & goals in a logical & Biblical manner, Jon went on to talk about his own "Bucket List". Basically a list of things you would want to accomplish if you found out you had 30 days to live.

My roommate Kristina & I left church and talked about how good the sermon was and what would be on each of our bucket lists. It's an interesting conversation to have, but when you really think about it you might come up with a more challenging conclusion. Instead of writing out a list of hypothetical goals why not start living. Living. If you think about how your time is spent you'll probably be disappointed by what you find. If you had a grid with each hour of the day & you were asked to fill out each activity that consumes your day & night would you be happy with the list? If your day were put into a pie chart which slice would be the biggest? There are so many nights I lay down to sleep and wonder how the day flew by. Homework stays unwritten, miles remain un-run, meaningful conversations hope for tomorrow and goals stay at least another day away. For the most part I am not a good steward of the time I've been given.

I think the bucket list from the movie had 50 goals - but I don't see the point of putting a limit on it. If I found out I had 30 days to live I would have my days & nights packed with activity. Who needs sleep when you've got a month to live? While I like the idea of making a bucket list for my life, I'd rather think of it as a blueprint for the years to come. Here it is - in no specific order. Enjoy!

1. Sit in the front row on the 50 yard line for Colts v Patriots in Lucas Oil Stadium with my family (or my parents & whichever sisters were willing to go.) :)
2. Attend the Olympic Games Opening Ceremonies.
3. Visit every continent.
4. Apologize to those I've wronged.
5. Drive a Tesla.
6. Own horses.
7. Dance in the NBA & NFL
8. Open a dance studio.
9. Experience weightless-ness.
10. Sit courtside in Rupp at a UK game.
11. Skydive.
12. Coach a dance team.
13. Own a jetski.
14. Run a marathon.
15. See the Eiffel Tower at night.
16. Fall in love.
17. Get married.
18. Donate 1 million dollars to charity.
19. Adopt a dog and a cat that have been at a Humane Society the longest.
20. Ride in a helicopter.
21. Judge a dance team competition.
22. Donate my hair to Locks of Love.
23. Get an hour long massage.
24. Learn a second language fluently.
25. Read the Bible from beginning to end.
26. Learn to read & write Hebrew.
27. Design a dance-wear line.
28. Own an original Edgar Degas.
29. Spend a night in the White House.
30. Have children.
31. Have a movie-marathon of my favorites in an IMAX theater.
32. Attend an awards show, run onto the stage before the recipient of the award can, steal the award, run.
33. Ice-skate in Rockefeller Center in December with only my husband.
34. See the Russian Ballet perform.
35. Create a perfume.
36. See Justin Timberlake in concert.
37. Dance on stage.
38. Force those around me to pretend to live in a musical for 1 day. (Shut up, it'd be hilarious)
39. Get baby ducks to imprint me a la "Fly Away Home"
40. Learn to work & create with a pottery wheel.
41. Attend prom (This one's a lost cause, kids. Unless I date a teacher . . . I'm on it.)
42. Attend a masquerade ball.
43. Be in a shark cage.
44. Watch "Eureka's Castle".
45. Learn to do wings.
46. Learn to fouette on pointe.
47. Go camping with my family on Lake Kinzua & visit Boldt Castle on Heart Island.
48. Swim with dolphins.
49. Ride an elephant.
50. See Megan Mooney live.


Woot! I could keep going, but you might stop reading. :) I could say I'm leaving the blog to go live but really I need to study for a test that's 6 hours away. My pie chart for today is long on crazy and short on sleep. Boom!

0 comments: