Get On Your Boots . . .

7:51 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
Last week Lexington got hit by a crazy winter storm. The governor has called it "the worst disaster in the history of Kentucky". Hundreds of thousands of people went days without power and somewhere around 15 people died from hypothermia or carbon monoxide poisoning. We got about 2 inches of ice followed by around 6 inches of snow - which made for heinous outdoor conditions. My roommates & I almost went crazy being stuck in our house for so long - but we were lucky enough to have electricity the entire week. Praise God!

One night when things were particularly bad . . we sat in our living room putting together a puzzle of wedding festivities in pioneer days. Our background noise of choice was a Justin Timberlake concert DVD which may have hindered our timeliness. Hilarious.


Here's our lovely finished puzzle.

Watching the icicles accumulate was astonishing.

I wasn't exaggerating when I said 2 inches of ice.


Trees everywhere were bent toward the ground falling under the enormous weight of ICE!

Here's my sweet antenna completely covered. Excellent.
Ahh! My grill! Iced out - just the way I like it.

Little bit of icy build up on my mirrors . .

My car looked like it had been hit by some super-villain who ices things over with their breath.

This was no pansy storm . . we got it bad.

Love this picture . . .

Everything looked BEAUTIFUL! (Dangerous & potentially deadly . . but beautiful, nonetheless)

Everything had thick layers of ice and snow for days . . it was like living in Narnia.

I finally got a snowy stretch of winter in Lexington!

So many branches cracked & fell . . . no wonder thousands lost power.

Woohoo! Tuesday off for me! :)

Ice build up was a little bit serious.

Side view of the lawn chair . . and icicle daggers.

As I write this it's snowing outside & schools are cancelling classes for tomorrow. Within the span of 1 hour today I saw two car crashes in my neighborhood - the majority of people in Lexington drive like fools in snow. On my way home today I literally drove no faster than 5 miles per hour the long way through my neighborhood to avoid one of the crashes. I'm all about winter . . but I have learned it's a conditional love. I love snow, ice and cold weather ONLY if I'm not obligated to be anywhere but on the top of a hill with a sled or near a fireplace sippin' hot chocolate. On that note . . I'm gonna go blow dry my numb fingers on high 'til they regain feeling.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Your blog top is brootiful and I'm jealous of your ice storm.