What Am I Gonna Do . . .

11:01 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
This past weekend my younger sister Jenna came to visit! She's so sweet - the whole thing was a complete surprise. Friday morning I had just gotten out of the shower and was getting ready in my bathroom when my phone rang. Jenna rarely (never) calls so I answered out of curiosity. She asked me if exit 108 was my exit. After a long pause I said "Wait, what?" Hilarious. We hung out around Lexington Friday night . . we ate deep fried pickles, saw "Twilight" for one dollar, and Jenna fell in love with Edward Cullen.

Saturday we headed out to the mall and passed through campus to see if there was a hockey game. What are the odds - UK vs Indiana that night. Bring. It. On. Kentucky hockey games don't start 'til midnight - which left us with all kinds of time to kill. We made our way to Sephora where Jenna did a full make-over on herself. It entertained us for a good portion of the afternoon. Then we hit up the pretzel stand. Mall pretzels might be one of my favorite foods. My last meal could consist of mall food and I would be entirely happy. Dippin' Dots, a pretzel, German roasted almonds & a strawberry crush smoothie. Can a meal get better than that? I submit that it cannot.

Midnight finally rolled around and Jenna, Kristina & I jumped in my hooptie toward the Lexington Ice Center. After a minor detour via my GPS (Out in the middle of the fields? Really? THAT'S where it thinks the Lexington Ice Center is? Perfect.) We made it to the hockey game in between the first and second periods . . around 12:45 am. UK hockey games are quite an experience - the crowd consists of easily excitable coed drunks, children, middle aged hockey fans . . and pretty much everyone in between. We found (what we thought were) great seats - 2nd row just off of center ice and settled in for the chilly action. When we sat down we didn't immediately notice the elderly man standing with his back to the ice gazing up and around at the crowd with a strangely suspicious look on his face. This guy was (at best) in his 70's in full on winter gear - hat, flannel jacket & gloves. His gloves & glasses were both on strings (awesome).

Kentucky's hockey rink is set up such that the crowd sits on one side of the rink & the other side is almost flush against the wall. The teams & coaches sit on that side with a DJ type set up int he middle. This particular night there were 4 overly enthusiastic middle aged men in charge of music for the night and they were just as entertaining as the hockey game itself. One in particular was hilarious. He was probably around 5'7, completely bald and overweight. This guy acted like every song that played was his personal anthem. He was rockin' it out complete with air guitar strums, fist pumps, and pointing to the crowd while cupping one ear. So funny. Apparently it was 80's night because he played every hit from that decade while we were there.

A few minutes into the 2nd period he decides to play "Jump Around" by House of Pain. The crowd was dancin' and lovin' it . . but hockey time outs are quick - so just about 30 seconds of the song played. As the game got back into motion the elderly gentlemen in front of me turned around with a very serious look on his face and quietly said "Do you know the name of the song that just played?" I was a little surprised by the question so I slowly replied "Um . . yeah. 'Jump Around'." He nodded and turned around. About 10 or 15 minutes later the man turns back around and says "Do you know who sings that song?". I'm not proud of this - but I have extensive music knowledge that should undoubtedly be taken up by more important things . . but I digress. I told him I'd think about it and let him know if I thought of the name of the group. ("Whats the name of your group? The sanasas." Anyone? Anyone?) After shuffling through my music database I determined "House of Pain" was the group in question so I informed my new 80's hip hop loving friend of the facts. "House . . of . . Pain?!" he asked. "Yes," I replied. Then the cutest thing happened. This old man slipped off one of his gloves . . and pulled out a piece of paper from his shirt pocket . . followed by a pencil . . and wrote down "Jump Around: House of Pain". Then he looked up at me and said "Well I'm sure the librarian will be able to find it." Awe. Some.

The hockey game was droning on . . and it was nearing 2:30 am. Indiana was up 3-2 so the girls and I decided to leave with 2 minutes left to beat the crowds. Lucky us . . just as we get out the doors we hear the crowd cheer. Kentucky scored with a minute left to tie the game. I was a little sad we missed it - but it ended in a tie which is all-together disappointing. No sports fan is ever ok with a tie. The teams may as well never have played at all. Worthless.

So that was my fun-filled weekend with Jenna (my favorite sister). Thanks for coming to see me, Jen! Let's trade cars soon, ok? :)

Coming soon: I get smelled by a 60 year old country mulleted man in an Applebee's. Ew.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm Billy and she's Silly and you can be Milly.

Anonymous said...

I was weirdly so excited about Jenna visiting you. Maybe because I can imagine how fun that'd be to be surprised like that...but now I think you suck because you said she's your favorite sister. But to remedy that the next time you're home we should DEFINITELY get pretzels and strawberry crushes together because I submit that they are wonderful as well.
Web chat soon.
Love to you.
Muah.

Jenna said...

Awwwww yeahhhhh girl.