Can't Get It Right Today . . .

4:30 PM Edit This 2 Comments »
So . . quick story for your reading enjoyment.

I got back from class this morning and was exhausted so I climbed back into bed for a little nap. I woke up a few hours later and was wandering around my room putting stuff away and cleaning up a bit when T-Cloud knocked on my door. "There's an officer near your car . . I think you're getting a ticket." AHH!! I ran around to find my keys (that are never where I remember putting them) and busted it to the front door and out to my car that was parked on the street. I see an officer writing on a little pad of paper (crap) and before I can open my sweet-talking little mouth a car slows down in front of my house.

This girl (my new enemy) in a white car rolls down her window and says "I'm so happy you're doing this." The officer glances her way and doesn't really acknowledge her as I approach him and say "Hi, Officer - I can move my car . . ." to which he replies: "Well I've already got it written out." I take this to mean I'm getting a ticket and there's no maneuver I can pull to get out of it. He says "Do you know why I'm writing this ticket?" and I may or may not have played dumb by saying "Because I'm parked on the curb?" I knew my car was facing the wrong direction and that it's illegal - but I wasn't about to admit it. People park facing both ways in my neighborhood all the time - so I never thought twice about it. This is the point in the story I hear my dad's voice say "I don't care what everyone else is doing; I care about what you're doing." Thanks, Dad.
The officer told me my house had been warned about our cars facing the wrong direction (which is a lie - no one ever warned us about that) but he also said he understood that we were new tenants and we might not have gotten the memo. I apologized and said I would pass the information along to my roommates - and here's where it got strange. The officer said "Are you free for dinner tonight?" and I didn't know what to say - if I turned him down would he give me the ticket out of spite? If I went - would he expect a second date? This guy was at least 30 . . that's way older than I'm interested in . . I hit a standstill.

Weird, right? Yeah - I don't know what I would have done if that had actually happened. Gotcha! :) But seriously - the officer said "Well, the ticket is $15, or I can just void it." Gosh - what to do, what to do? Pay $15 or void the ticket - what a tough one. I said "Oh that'd be great - thank you so much & I'll be sure to tell my roommates!"

Moral of the story: Don't park your car facing the wrong way on the street & keep your eyes out for neighborhood haters. Later today when I head out for a run I'm keepin' a lookout for that woman's car. I make no promises regarding further actions I may or may not take.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

First of all I'd like to comment on your thoughts on Dad saying "well I'm not their father, I'm your father" TOTALLY what I was thinking when I read that part! Love you dad :)

Secondly. Saran wrap that punk's car.

Anonymous said...

haha hilarious Dad reference...can hear his voice now. And also, you crack me up with the random twist of the date offer - I bought it. Also, way to get out of a ticket, you flashed him didn't you?!