Hollywood Is Not America...

1:01 PM Edit This 2 Comments »
Lately I find myself more disgusted with Hollywood than usual. I've made the analogy before that Americans view of Hollywood is like a high school clique. Celebrities are the "cool" clique in high school. You might not know or hang out with them, but you still hear about what goes on in their lives. Maybe a stretch, but it's all I've got.

I'm sick of turning on my TV & hearing about who's dating who, which celebs got DUIs the night before, and who's junk was hanging out for the paparazzi to see. If I could send one message to Hollywood I know exactly what it would be. "WE DON'T CARE!" I don't care what they wear, how their hair is cut, who they date, how much money they make or what they think. Yeah, I said it.

There are specific things about celebrities that just send me over the edge. Take award shows, for example. Let's have celebrities get together, wearing millions of dollars in clothes & jewelry, to tell each other how great each thinks the other is. "You pretended the best." "No, you did!" "Oh, you!" To top it all off: Americans tune in! Millions watch. Mind-boggling.

Another celebrity irk of mine? Standards. Mostly (to follow my recent blog theme) marriage. How many times have you heard someone (talking about a celeb marriage break-up) say "Well 4 years is a long time in Hollywood." Really? I didn't know there was a space-time continuum in California. In that case - 4 years must be like, what - a lifetime?! Great job! You paid your dues. Go ahead & get divorced & move on to someone else. Or just find someone new & attend to the divorce later, whatever. After showing such poor examples of what marriage should be, these celebrities then stand on their soap boxes & tell the world how homosexual relationships "deserve" marriage. After all, they clearly have a strong grasp on marriage and it's values. By all means they should be the ones to "expand" the definition of marriage to include two men or two women. Disgusting.

Add to this outrageous paychecks (when teachers & nurses & so many other societally valid professions are severely underpaid), ignorance of world affairs, egoism & complete lack of connection to anything not "Hollywood" and you begin to see my point.

I can't help but find the humor in celebrity attempts to "go green". Who is the genius that decides that the best way to convey an energy-saving message is to put on a massive concert event complete with lights, speakers, soundboards, & amps. Anyone else see this logical fallacy? They're so wrapped up in the celebrity world they can't see how their actions impact the world they live in. Their assistants will take care of it. I love how celebrities are always in public service announcements giving advice about family life & parenting. Like they're worth listening to.


One more rant & I'll end it. I love how celebrities are always in public service announcements giving advice about family life & parenting. Like they're worth listening to. Along those same lines - it always strikes me a bit odd when celebrities who make multi-millions per movie role have the gall to get on TV and tell Americans to start donating money to various causes. Not that everyone shouldn't contribute, but let's be honest - who is in the best position to donate some of their wealth to charitable organizations? Exactly.

I hope the next time you flip to E! or a see a magazine that catches your eye in the check-out line you think twice before giving it (and them) anything more than a casual glance.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Why haven't you had a blog until now? ;)

Anonymous said...

preach it once again, Laura - and thanks for the nurse props ;)